Customers may smile for their photo but they may not show teeth. The following requirements must be met when a photo is taken:
- The face from the crown to the base of the chin must be clearly visible and free of shadows. Seeing the front of the ear is preferred, but not required.
- The applicant’s hair must not obscure the eyes or eyebrows in any way. The likelihood of capturing a compliant image is greatly increased the less an applicant’s face is covered by hair.
- The applicant must maintain a neutral facial expression, (i.e., no open-mouth smiles or exaggerated facial expressions). A closed mouth smile is acceptable.
- The applicant must remove eyeglasses before the photo is taken.
- Any non-corrective vision contact lenses that obstruct the natural eye iris color or obscure the size or shape of an applicant’s pupil must be removed prior to a compliant photo.
- The applicant must remove all head coverings and coats or scarves that interfere with the facial view.
- If the applicant indicates they are required to wear headwear for religious or medical reasons as part of their daily attire, they may do so provided the above photo requirements are satisfied. The applicant may or may not provide documentation for these reasons. If documentation is provided, it must be scanned with the application.
- If the applicant indicates they are required to wear facial coverings for religious or medical reasons, they must obtain a photo-exempt credential or make an after-hours appointment to have their photo taken and transaction processed.