Goals for the Wabash River Heritage Corridor Commission were defined in public meetings held in 1992/93.
- To promote the improvement of the natural environment of the corridor.
- To promote the improvement of recreational opportunities in the corridor.
- To increase public awareness of the corridor as a whole.
- To encourage that recreational areas and trails are acquired and developed in the corridor without the use of eminent domain.
- To promote the development of a better environment ethic in the citizens and communities of the corridor.