Each time a controlled substance is dispensed, the dispenser is required to transmit specific information to INSPECT. As stipulated by IC 25-26-24-3, the requirement does not apply to the following:
- A drug administered directly to the patient.
- A drug dispensed by a practitioner, if the quantity dispensed is not more than a seventy-two (72) hour supply of a controlled substance list4ed in schedule II, III, IV, or V as set forth in IC 35-48-1-9.
"Dispenser," for purposes of IC 35-48, has the meaning set forth in IC 35-48-1-13. However, the term does not include the following:
- A nurse registered or licensed under IC 25-23 or a medication aide who administers a controlled substance at the direction of a physician licensed under IC 25-22.5.
- A person who administers or dispenses a controlled substance ordered for a bona fide patient in a facility licensed under IC 16-28.
- A pharmacy licensed under IC 25-26-13 when it dispenses prescriptions ordered for bona fide enrolled patients in facilities licensed under IC 16-28.
- A practitioner who dispenses not more than a seventy-two (72) hour supply of a controlled substance listed in either schedule II, III, or IV as set forth in IC 35-48-7-2.9.